Monday, April 20, 2009

My first 1080p set and biggest purchase from Amazon, a fantastic experience

My first 1080p set and biggest purchase from Amazon, a fantastic experience, June 21, 2008
By J. Strand (dallas) - See all my reviews samsung


Delievery from CEVA/Eagle was quick and even thought I had a 2 hour delivery window the driver called the night before and said he'd call 15 minutes before delivery so I didn't have to wait around and miss work. The picture is fantasic, I'm still fooling around with settings but samsung ln40b650 looks great no matter how I mess samsung ln40b650 up! ;-P
The blu-ray picture is fantastic and 1080i HD cable telecasts look great as well.
Another great thing is Amazon's 30 day price guarantee. I've called in twice after price drops and gotten two sizable refunds in the two weeks since samsung ln40b650 was shipped.
I like the higher level of contrast this model has over the 550 model so I'm glad I got this 650 model but the other touted difference between the models is confusing/disappointing and that's the 120hz feature. I've tried numerous ways samsung viewing different sources with all sorts of settings and I can't see much, if any, difference with the 120hz turned on or off. I don't even see a difference when the demo function is running and you're supposedly seeing 120hz on the left and 60hz on the right. There might be the slightest difference but I might just be thinking that because I've been told there should be. So I'm not disappointed I got this one instead of the 550 because the higher contrast makes the blacks very deep but don't let the 120hz be the decisive factor in whether you get this set. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Report this Permalink
Comment (1)



24 of 26 people found the following review helpful:
Problem Fixed!, April 16, 2008
By M. Powell "HD-Guy" (Mauldin, SC United States) - See all my reviews


Just as an FYI, Samsung has issued a firmware update that is available via their home website that fixes the off/on issue mentioned in another review. I have been using this TV for over two weeks now, since the update which was released on 4/9/08, I have had ZERO issues with this unit. The picture is FANTASTIC, probably the most clear HDTV that I have seen on the market to date. The 120 Hz makes the biggest difference of samsung all. Don't get me wrong, I have been a faithful fan of SONY for years and I never thought anyone would be able to match the performance of their HDTV products or steer me away from being a faithful customer. My brother even purchased the XBR5 series of the 46 inch and is NOW looking to sell samsung ln40b650 so that he can switch to the Samsung LN46A650.
2 years ago there would samsung have been no choice for me between the two, but now I can see that Samsung is finally giving Sony a run for their money. Hands down, for now anyway, Samsung is clearly the best choice to go with when samsung ln40b650 comes to an LCD HDTV of this size.

No comments:

Post a Comment